Ok, I'm going to preface this whole thing with the fact that I AM SEEING RUSH TOMORROW, EVERYONE. I've seen them twice before and am just as giddy this time too. Not only are they my favorite all time band ever, they are absolutely amazing live performers. I'm going with a few of my coworkers (I know I'm working at the right place). I'll stop while I'm ahead and just say that I'm immensely excited to go.
So, where have I been? I would say busy, but also unmotivated. Work is going great and I'm really happy in Baltimore. I've just been assigned to an instrument team for the spectrographs on Hubble, COS+STIS. I'm looking forward to starting my work with that. Besides work though, I have been lots of obnoxious adult things like setting up health insurance, car insurance, car repairs, furniture shopping, and RETIREMENT planning! I've made some really fun and diverse friends at work too- there is one of every kind of person at a company of 500+ employees! It makes for a great selection of friends :)
Last Saturday a few friends and I went on a winery trail on the eastern shore of MD. PS- that means eastern shore of the bay, not the ocean! We went to 4 different wineries, and 1 was alright, 2 were downright bad, and 1 was excellent. Maryland does not have a good reputation with wines- maybe it's the climate or soil, but let's just say they're not known for the wines (beer though, yes!). The real winner of the trip was a visit to the Sandbar, a bar on the shore of bay, in a borderline trashy but definitely redneck part of the state. A woman at the last winery we visited suggested we visit there. We got to sit on the edge of the water drinking mojitos and listening to a so-so cover band. On the way home we got drive across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge while a beautiful lightning storm lit up the distance. Not a bad day.
Sunday some people and I went to the MD State Fair. I've never even been to the IN state fair, so I'm not sure how it compares. It was fun though- we got fried food and rode some rides so I'm calling it a success. Mostly we went to show a new postdoc from England what America is all about- fried snickers and livestock.
Thursday I went laser tagging with people from work and, let me say- IT. WAS. SO. FUN. I've been laser tagging before and this was on a whole different level. Maybe because I'm not 8 years old anymore, or my aim has improved, or that I now take sniping more seriously. Regardless, it was the most fun I've had in a while.
Last night a group of people celebrated said English woman's birthday by taking her out on town. It was a ton of fun! Tomorrow I go to Bristow, VA (just outside DC) for the Rush concert!!!
So, where have I been? I would say busy, but also unmotivated. Work is going great and I'm really happy in Baltimore. I've just been assigned to an instrument team for the spectrographs on Hubble, COS+STIS. I'm looking forward to starting my work with that. Besides work though, I have been lots of obnoxious adult things like setting up health insurance, car insurance, car repairs, furniture shopping, and RETIREMENT planning! I've made some really fun and diverse friends at work too- there is one of every kind of person at a company of 500+ employees! It makes for a great selection of friends :)
Last Saturday a few friends and I went on a winery trail on the eastern shore of MD. PS- that means eastern shore of the bay, not the ocean! We went to 4 different wineries, and 1 was alright, 2 were downright bad, and 1 was excellent. Maryland does not have a good reputation with wines- maybe it's the climate or soil, but let's just say they're not known for the wines (beer though, yes!). The real winner of the trip was a visit to the Sandbar, a bar on the shore of bay, in a borderline trashy but definitely redneck part of the state. A woman at the last winery we visited suggested we visit there. We got to sit on the edge of the water drinking mojitos and listening to a so-so cover band. On the way home we got drive across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge while a beautiful lightning storm lit up the distance. Not a bad day.
Sunday some people and I went to the MD State Fair. I've never even been to the IN state fair, so I'm not sure how it compares. It was fun though- we got fried food and rode some rides so I'm calling it a success. Mostly we went to show a new postdoc from England what America is all about- fried snickers and livestock.
Thursday I went laser tagging with people from work and, let me say- IT. WAS. SO. FUN. I've been laser tagging before and this was on a whole different level. Maybe because I'm not 8 years old anymore, or my aim has improved, or that I now take sniping more seriously. Regardless, it was the most fun I've had in a while.
Last night a group of people celebrated said English woman's birthday by taking her out on town. It was a ton of fun! Tomorrow I go to Bristow, VA (just outside DC) for the Rush concert!!!
1 comment:
So glad you're having a great time in Baltimore! The AURA misses you!
Post a Comment