Sunday, July 29, 2012

STORAGE CRISIS

I promise I'll get to more substantial stuff soon (like moving and starting my new career, little things like that), but I need your help, people of the internet.

I just moved into my new apartment (pictures soon, once it looks civilized!), and it's in a great location, big rooms, hardwood floors, FIRE ESCAPE, but the one thing it is desperately lacking is storage.

There are 2 closets in the whole place, one in my bedroom that will barely fit my clothes, and another in the living room, where I'll be keeping some seasonal stuff, vacuum, etc. The problem is that I'm left with a lot of loose odds and ends that were previously kept holed up in closets. Things like folders of papers, class notes, a guitar, rocks from AZ... you get the picture.

What do I do with this stuff?! There is space to store it, but it would just be thrown in the corner for all to see. Any suggestions?

And, the biggest problem of all, I think, is the kitchen. It's a big area, but there are only a few cabinets above and below the sink. I currently have them filled up with my dishes and pots and pans. There is a large pegboard on the wall from the last tenant (maybe 3'x3') where I'll hang my mugs and maybe some pots or anything that can be put on a hook.

But there is almost ZERO counterspace! Only a couple square feet. I have a small fold-out table set up now with my microwave and coffeemaker, but I have a box full of previous pantry items and nowhere to store it now! Spices, baking things, mixer, crockpot, etc... What do I do with this stuff??!! :(

I've seen carts with wheels on them that people use for kitchen storage... anything else you can think of? I am not opposed at all to building things either (but don't know how far I'll get with a $30 toolset). My friend Steven has a cool spice rack on the wall he built, which is sort of inspiring me to take some initiative for something similar.

If you have any advice, suggestions, or commiserations please leave a comment!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Joanna! I took your concern to heart and hence looked up some storage options for a low price.

http://theunexpectedchic.com/2011/09/11/freshly-squeezed-part-1-of-3-design-ideas-for-your-rental-flat-or-small-space/

You could do the storage cart for your dishes and hang your pots and pans above. That would create some counter space too. http://pinterest.com/pin/97953360616000656/

If you're willing to build, this lady has a lot of good solutions. http://www.classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/05/build-your-own-extra-storage-diy-canned.html

You'll have to get a bed frame anyways. Might consider one with built in drawers or cubbies. http://pinterest.com/pin/97531148150394549/

You can put cans of foods in magazine holders, on their sides. I looked at the Baltimore Craigslist, and there was a lot of free crates or wood stuff you could take and just tweak to your needs. If you're looking to buy new, I guess IKEA, Walmart, etc.? And I'd look on Pinterest for storage ideas; they usually have a lot of good ones for cheap.

Hope this helped!

Christine said...

Boooo! No storage is no fun. I am so sorry you are experiencing this. I seriously struggled with lack of closet space before we built a closet and storage 'attic' at our house. Some of your woes sound like they might be best fixed by additional furniture... Your idea of a portable kitchen island sounds great and Naomi's idea of a bed with drawers may work well, too. Could you do a bookcase in the living room that would hold both baskets of things and books?

As you get more used to the space you may get a better feel for what you need. Ikea is a nice option for some of these things, but I suspect Craig's List will be your good friend in this quest!

Good luck.

Bekah said...

I think a good idea would be to get a bookshelf for cheap from Clist and get some baskets or boxes small enough to put on the shelves. You can slide them in and out and store stuff within them. You can cover the outsides with decorated paper so they look neat too.

It would also be a good idea to do what Naomi suggested and get a bed with storage in it. The boys have those kind of beds here and they work great for clothes, etc.

When I lived in a dorm I didn't have enough storage space with a dresser and closet so I bought one of those stand-up plastic storage shelf things with three drawers. I stuck pretty scrapbooking papers in the look-in winder and was able to store my personals in there without anyone seeing them. It freed up a drawer from my dresser as well, it looks good, and you can set items on top of it.